The former library now houses Petaluma poultry, dairy, and Miwok Indian history exhibits from the 1850s. The cornerstone for this stately Carnegie Library was laid in 1904. The building, designed by local architect Brainerd Jones and built from locally quarried stone, features the largest free-standing leaded glass dome in Northern California. The building is in the neoclassical style, featuring original fan-glass windows, round leaded-glass windows, also original interior wood paneling and columns. It also houses a fine research library.
Exhibits change periodically, and the upstairs exhibits are always free. They also offer FREE walking tours of historic Petaluma, led by costumed docents. Come hear the history of Petaluma from the mouths of early settlers of Petaluma. Most Saturdays, May through October, meet on the steps of the Museum at 10:30 a.m. to begin. The museum will also customize tours for groups traveling together, local groups or associations and for schools. Contact email@example.com for information. Open Thurs-Sun 10am-4pm.
Petaluma Historical Museum
20 Fourth St, Petaluma, Ca
707.778.4398 • www.petalumamuseum.com